NCMUG maintains mailing list as a benefit to membership. Members share information, request and respond to other members’ questions via sending an e-mail message list. All messages are routed to other subscribing members automatically. Any current club member may sign up for the NCMUG lists. There are currently three mail list: memberlist, off-topic and announce. We maintain a FAQ page to answer many of your questions.
The Member List is an e-mail list where members may post messages for discussion about computer or electronic-related topics, or messages relating to Apple Inc. in general. Members wishing to join the Member List must request a subscription here. Please be patient when requesting a subscription to this list, as the request must be researched by an NCMUG volunteer to verify active membership. Subscription requests are generally handled within 24-48 hours.
The Off-Topic List is an e-mail list where members may post messages for discussions about any non-computer or non-electronic related topics. Members wishing to join the Off-Topic List must request a subscription here. Please be patient when requesting a subscription to this list, as the request must be researched by an NCMUG volunteer to verify active membership. Subscription requests are generally handled within 24-48 hours.
The Announce List is a low-volume, read-only list where members receive information about upcoming meetings, newsletter downloads, user group vendor offers, and other important club-related announcements. Only a handful of people have permission to post to the Announce List. Each NCMUG member with an e-mail address on file will be invited to join the Announce List. Members who accept the invitation are subscribed to the list and are then enabled to receive messages from it. Announce List invitations are sent monthly.
To make changes to your list subscription such as unsubscribing, change digest mode or place a vacation hold, please use the web interface by selecting the list you wish to manage in the popup menu below. Enter the e-mail account you subscribed with and click on the submit button. On the resulting page you will need your password for some task. If you don’t know it you can retrive it there.
If you need further assistance you can mail the list administrators at firstname.lastname@example.org
The following are some guidelines to help you, the NCMUG member, to better understand how to post to our Mail Lists.
- All NCMUG Mail Lists are opt-in lists. This means that each member must either request to subscribe or must accept an invitation to join a list. NCMUG will not add members to any list without this member verification step
- All NCMUG members whose NCMUG membership has expired beyond the grace period are automatically removed from all NCMUG Mail Lists. Subscriptions to the NCMUG Mail Lists are a member benefit and are available for active NCMUG members only.
- Member List posts are restricted to discussions about computer or electronic-related topics, or messages relating to Apple Inc. in general.
- When replying to a message you received from an NCMUG Mail List, please be sure to sign your name at the bottom of your e-mail to identify yourself as the message poster.
- Please limit signatures to three lines of text relating to contact information only and no graphics or attachments.
- Double check to make sure you are not posting a message that is actually a hoax e-mail.
- Please trim replies so that they include only the pertinent information necessary to continue the thread. Digest subscribers, please take special care not to include the entire digest contents in your replies.
- Please do not post messages with attachments. Total message size for each post is limited to 40K. Messages larger than 40K are automatically rejected.
- Please ensure that the subject line of the message is relevant to the message content. In particular, if you reply to an existing message and you are taking the thread in a new direction, please modify the subject line to reflect the change.
- Be polite – Treat others on the list the way you wish to be treated, with courtesy and respect.
- Be patient – Not everyone has as much time as you to answer and/or respond to e-mail.
- Be understanding – Not everybody knows as much as you do and may need some explanations for your points or questions.
- Be forgiving – Others may be just getting the hang of hardware and/or software and may make mistakes.
- In extreme cases, NCMUG may revoke a member’s posting ability or outright ban a member from any list if he or she posts offensive messages or refuses to follow the published guidelines for posting.